Monday 7 April 2014

My Greatest Learning

This course has opened my eyes to a whole new way of teaching mathematics. I came into this course, expecting to be drilled with our multiplication tables, relearning long division, work on devising math worksheets and tests, and lesson plans that simply involve the teaching of a concept and usage of the textbook - what I have learned, however, is that math, and teaching math, is something completely different than what I was used to.  I learned mathematics has amazing potential to become very student-centered and engaging as well as fun and exciting.

Mathematics should be inquiry based. You should present problems to your students that allow them to find their own solutions. Get them up and moving! Allow them to learn through play as children do. The potential to instill authentic learning with mathematics by using valuable resources, by making math student centered and fun is huge, so why would you do any different than teach in such a way?

Thank you, Mary, for a great term! I've learned so much and I am excited to take what I've learned and put it into practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment