Monday 7 April 2014

Mathematics Resources K-6

We were given the opportunity to grapple with mathematics resources from k-6 during one of our math classes. Though I was absent during this class, I did inquire with some of my colleagues to catch up on anything that I may have missed. They filled me in on the activity during that day and shared with me, things that stood out to them. I also took it upon myself to peruse the resources available at the CMC, as I missed the opportunity to do so during class time. I began with looking at the curriculum guides, and from that, went on to textbooks, and even took a look at some children's books that are math- centered.

The thing I like most about curriculum documents is the organization of them. They are in chronological order, with easy to follow material inside. The 2-page spreads are fantastic, as they outline the specific curriculum outcome and then provides some detailed information on how to teach this and methods of assessment. I will say, however, that sometimes, the curriculum guides lack in creativity and motivational activities for students that will completely engage them and result in a deep learning experience. But mostly, the curriculum documents are great guides for teachers.

The text books and other resources seemed to be fantastic! Colourful and engaging, especially from k-2, but unfortunately, grades 3 and onward lacked in colour and  motivational pictures to engage children! This was quite a disappointment.

Something I really enjoyed was the children's books available that are centered around mathematical concepts. A book that really stuck out to me was "The Greedy Triangle" by Marilyn Burns. It's a scholastic book which discusses the concepts of geometry through a fun story that is both silly and enjoyable for students. I feel as if more mathematical concepts were presented in such a way, math anxiety would be much lower than it currently is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment